22 February 2008

Daily DIScription

End of week two of unemployment. On Wednesday I drove to Seattle to see some friends, sell some records, eat some food and drink some Belgian ale.

Thursday I had coffee and a donut with my friend before he had to go to work. Then I was forced with having to decide on what to do for 6 hours while he was at work. Every time I visit Seattle I am more and more astounded at the appalling state of things. Luckily my friend remembered that Thursday was free admission day to the Henry Art Museum. I drove to H.A.M. and was surprised to walk into an exhibition of work by SANAA, a Japanese architectural office, that I only had heard of after looking into who designed the Dior store in Omotesando, which I think is one of the most beautiful buildings I've seen. SANAA plays a lot with light, space and breaking up space. They had several models, photographs, prototypes, drawings at the show which gave a really good sense to their style. It also made me wish I had a house made of thin steel walls and acrylic. While at the Henry I finally made it to James Turrell's "SkySpace" permanent installation which was closed the last time I was there. It was a clear day so the "skylight" was open and as soon as I walked into the space a bird flew over head which was great. The opening in the ceiling has no visible edge so the sky appears to be a flat projected image. Really great. I should would have liked to have sat there with headphones on but the meter on the car was running.

After the museum I drove around and ended up back on Capital Hill, where my shoe guys put heal taps on two pairs of shoes. I informed them of my plans to move east so that may have been my last time at the Shoe Stop (highly recommended to anyone in Seattle). After the shoes were fixed I drove to the Frye Art Museum to see the R. Crumb exhibit. It was a pretty comprehensive show especially for those unfamiliar with his work (I don't know much about it him but I know more than the general public). Anyway. it was a decent show, I did come to the conclusion that we have totally different taste in women!

After the Frye I drove downtown and decided to check on some stores. After driving around in circles for 30 minutes I parked in a lot and went to Barneys New York and Butch Blum to see if they had anything on sale and to see what they had in new. Barneys didn't have anything left from fall and the spring collection wasn't as good. They had a little Dries van Noten, Raf Simons, Jil Sander and McQueen but no Margiela. I hate that the dollar is so weak. It makes all these European labels so much more expensive. Butch Blum actually had some Demeulemeester on sale and some new Demeulemeester but nothing in my size or price range (they did have the beautiful grey leather jacket from the fall but 60% off $3200 is still a huge amount of money).

I ended up not buying anything and got in my car to see if I could find the new Sculpture Garden that I was told was on the waterfront. I drove around a little and shortly came across the garden when I saw Alexander Calder's giant "Eagle" sculpture. I parked the car and spent the next hour or so walking the grounds, taking photos and looking at sculptures and Seattle. This was the first place I'd been to in Seattle where I actually liked the city again.

After I left the sculpture garden I went to Ladro cafe and had an iced coffee (the weather was great while I was in Seattle and sunny skies always make me want an iced coffee). I picked up my friend from work and we drove to the International District to get some cheap Vietnamese food (mmm tofu sandwich).






We then got back into the car and drove back to the waterfront area to attend the opening party for the Moooi Boutique @ Inform. Marcel Wanders wasn't at the opening as they had hoped he would be but they had a ton of Moooi products on the floor and I never get tired of seeing the Smoke Chair in person. Several of my friends were at the opening which was nice. I also saw some architects and designers that I knew from my time in Seattle (though I avoided talking to them). Around 8pm I drove my friend back to his apartment and then got back on I-5 for the trip back to Portland. The drive back was pretty uneventful except for the brief periods of rain, which always make the drive seem even longer.


22 February 2008

            • Black suede and rubber adicolor Crooked Tongues trainers (adidas)
            • Grey cotton trousers (Margiela)
            • Black cotton short sleeve v-neck sweater (Smedley)
            • Black cotton cardigan (Smedley)
            • Transparent plastic frames with scribble print (Theo)






















21 February 2008

            • Black leather lace up round toe boots (Demeulemeester)
            • Black leather jean cut pants (Demeulemeester)
            • Grey cotton Patti Smith concert t-shirt
            • White long sleeve button-up shirt with black and grey abstract floral print (Demeulemeester)
            • Black wool/silk three button jacket (Demeulemeester)
            • Black leather box pendant necklace (Demeulemeester)
            • Black wool/silk hat (Demeulemeester)
            • Black matte titanium asymmetrical frames (Theo)

















20 February 2008

            • Black leather oxfords (Demeulemeester)
            • Black cotton denim jeans with black cotton tuxedo stripe with beaded Patti Smith quote on one leg (Demeulemeester)
            • Black cotton t-shirt with pink skull print
            • Grey wool blend cable knit sweater (Demeulemeester)
            • Black titanium and plastic mirrored sunglasses (Theo)
            • Black leather weekend bag (Demeulemeester)

No comments: